Creating Habitats and Biotopes in Home Aquarium

Sutapa Art Gallery

Sutapa Art Gallery
Paintings by Kairav
Marine Aquarium Freshwater AquariumAquascaping Water Plants Bog Plants Amphibians ReptilesBreeding TechniquesImitating Seasonal Changes Invertebrates Crustaceans

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Water Hornwort can be used as an effective dust cover


I have two tanks which do not have a hood or a canopy on the top. This is done intentionally as these tanks are in my balcony and they get diffused sunlight all through the day, which activates immense plant growth. But I was faced with a regular problem of floating dust in water which falls from the air as it balcony is beside the road. I was having this problem for quite a long time for about six months or so and tried everything from nets to glass cover without much successful results. 





 
 
It was this time when I happened to pass by a pond in my nearby area and saw a mass of Water Hornwort growing floating on the surface. Something caused me to just move the mass a bit and I saw in the crystal clear water below the dust trapped in the Water Hornwort float down.

The dust was trapped among the Horn-wort leaves and kept the water underneath crystal clear. This gave me the idea to replicate the same in my tanks to keep the dust away. I collected some Hornwort from the wild and placed on the surface, with some Duckweed. I was thinking that it will cut away the light hampering the plant growth, however the plant growth was normal and the tanks were having crystal clear water.

I found in nature the solution for a problem, by which I was troubled for about six months.

Problems you may face if you apply this. Hornworts have immense growth rate and regular pruning will be required to keep it under control. If you are also placing duckweeds, you may have to sieve them out regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment