Creating Habitats and Biotopes in Home Aquarium

Sutapa Art Gallery

Sutapa Art Gallery
Paintings by Kairav
Marine Aquarium Freshwater AquariumAquascaping Water Plants Bog Plants Amphibians ReptilesBreeding TechniquesImitating Seasonal Changes Invertebrates Crustaceans

Monday, October 18, 2010

Crayfish can re-generate limbs if lost

A friend of mine gave me 2 red crayfish. One was may be 0.5 cm bigger in length than the other. The bigger one was also a bit brighter in color than the smaller one. It (the bigger One) also had a voracious appetite, to that extent that it will grab at anything that falls from the top.




I started giving them a variety of food from dead fishes, meat to steamed rice etc. At the first skin shed the bigger one became much bigger than the smaller one; to my astonishment it became almost double in size, as compared to the smaller one.

I skipped their food one day as I was out of town and next day morning when I returned I found that one of the big ‘Pincer Arm’ of the smaller one had been torn off and parts of its remains were lying around in the Tank. The crayfish was also in  a little bit shock and was hiding out deep in its cave.

I removed him from his tank and placed him in the Hospital Tank, and he is still there now for last one month. Slowly he started feeding again and after say about 15 days or so he went in for his first skin shed in the night. In the morning I woke up and astonished to see that a small ‘Pincer Arm’ has developed. I have read many articles and books regarding the regeneration of limbs by shrimps and crayfishes and I saw it happen practically.

No comments:

Post a Comment